baking beast

a suspicious creature has been lurking around the streets, leaving behind delights that dreams are made of. what's to become of this baking beast?

Sunday, April 03, 2005

paper chef #5!

proscuitto "crackers" with herbed chevre and balsamic caramelized onions







so for my second time participating in paper chef, the ingredients were chevre, proscuitto, sherry vinegar, and green garlic. well, i couldn't find neither the sherry vinegar nor the green garlic, so i used balsamic vinegar and green onion instead. what i did was fried pieces of proscuitto to make them crispy and used them as a "cracker base", if you will, to put on herbed chevre i got at trader joe's. then, i caramelized a white onion and glazed the onions with balsamic vinegar so in the end they were meltingly sweet and flavorful. gotta love caramelized onions!! i have some leftovers, too, so i can't wait to put those to use :) then i put the onions on top of the cheese, and garnished with some green onions. overall, it was quite tasty.. and i've never been a huge goat cheese fan but i actually quite enjoyed eating it this way. the herbed variety gave it a great punch of flavor. i might've had too large of a cheese portion though, so maybe if i were to do this again i'd put the caramelized onions on first, then top with a few dots of the chevre. i really liked the combination of flavors, even if i couldn't get the actual ingredients called for :( it was pretty fun coming up with something and putting together the parts. it also pushed me to use chevre, which i probably wouldn't have used in a dish otherwise. yay for another installment of paper chef!

7 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

What a clever idea. I'll have to give that a try, I LOVE proscuitto and chevre.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

I too thought this was a really clever idea - very direct flavors and another one that I will be making for myself sometime.

1:22 AM  
Anonymous bread said...

G'day Emily
I seem to have found paper chef #5! while searching for things on cooking club. I can see why, although I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for. Just thought I'd say hello :0)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Blog World said...

A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.
Stewart Alsop- Posters.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Tony said...

Hi there. I'm interested in pakistani cooking and would like to get some local help & advice. I've met some local people via this pakistani cooking site but do you know of any others where I can meet local people?
Many thanks

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Eric said...

Hi, I'd like to know where to get help and advice on cooking and, in particular, slow cooking. I've joined slow cooking to contact others who may be able to help me. Are there any other sites where I can get such advice?
TIA

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily, I couldn't agree with your post (paper chef #5!) more. Keep up the good work. cooking camps

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home