baking beast

a suspicious creature has been lurking around the streets, leaving behind delights that dreams are made of. what's to become of this baking beast?

Friday, March 18, 2005

SHF #6: stuck on you

coconut caramel candy bars


for this SHF caramel edition, i made the coconut caramel candy bars from the king arthur flour cookie book. the recipe is available on their website here, but in the book they used 3 cups (9 ounces) of coconut, reserving 1/2 cup for the topping (which i definitely enjoyed.. no problems here in that amount of coconut :) ). the bars were really VERY easy to make. and i sort of cheated by using this caramel sauce i had from starbucks. shhh!!! but it worked beautifully and i didn't have time to make my own caramel this week..and i didn't feel like going out and buying those caramel candies the recipe calls for. the recipe claims to taste like those samoa girl scout cookies (which are my favorite, by the way)... and they DO!!! they taste even better, if that is possible. :) the texture is very sticky and chewy and delicious... yummmmm!!!! the picture doesn't really do the bars justice.. i take awful pictures. :P i brought these for all of my friends to enjoy today.. and all of them absolutely loved them. one of my friends said that her last food she would eat if she were put on the death penalty were these bars. and another guy alone ate like 5 pieces of these. please, make them! they're fantastic. :) and amazingly easy to make, on top of that. now i won't have to wait until girl scout cookie time to enjoy the awesome taste of those samoas.

i just looked at our great host debbie's blog, and found out she made samoa-type cookies as well... those things just capture the hearts of so many.. :)
i had a lot of fun though making these.. and of course i enjoyed eating them even more. thanks for hosting the shf, debbie!! caramel is amaaaaazing!! great shf theme.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Tee said...

Hi Emily! I've just discovered your little blog and I'm loving it! All of the food you've made seem so delicious! ^-^ Can't wait to read more! =)

7:14 PM  
Blogger chronicler said...

Oooo! I love these cookies! Thanks for the reminder about them! King Arthur has the best recipes! And no I won't tell about the SB sauce. (I'll run and get some myself!)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

thanks for the recipe for "samoas" I can't wait to try them.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a great little recipe - I'll definitely be trying this one out soon! Thanks so much for sharing it and joining in on SHF!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Yay! Glad to see you are back!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog/site to my favorites. I also have a blog/site you're invited to visit

10:43 PM  
Anonymous kids recipes said...

I think I've found a search engine with a sense of humor - I was actually looking for articles on cookbooks, and here I am on a site called SHF #6: stuck on you. There's probably an electronic explanation for this and I have enjoyed the experience, so no harm done. Have a nice day Emily - if that's your real name :0)

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Tony said...

Hi, I'd like to know where to get help and advice on cooking and, in particular, pakistani cooking. I've joined pakistani cooking to contact others who may be able to help me. Are there any other sites where I can get such advice?
TIA

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post (SHF #6: stuck on you) was on target for free cooking recipe. It's interesting to know that many people don't understand free cooking recipe like you do. Good job.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home