baking beast

a suspicious creature has been lurking around the streets, leaving behind delights that dreams are made of. what's to become of this baking beast?

Monday, January 17, 2005

chocolate and lemon madeleines




made these cute little madeleines today! well, half made them today! made the batter last night and gave them an overnight rest until today. i had a little trouble with the batter.. i guess either my eggs or butter weren't truly at room temperature so even though i did the smearing (which i'm not sure if i did thoroughly enough??), the butter didn't mix into the eggs and appeared curdled. at first i tried whisking more and then tried to rub the butter into the mixture between my hands.. which was very laborious and i wasn't getting very far. then i remembered i had a hand blender and used that to blend the rest in. after that i finished the rest of the mixing and put it into the fridge. today when i was putting them into the molds, i thought the batter was reaaallyy thick and that i screwed up somewhere.. but after baking them they turned out fine! my humps aren't as pretty as i hoped them to be.. oh well. actually, these are my first madeleines so i don't really have anything to compare them to.. but i enjoyed them. good chocolate flavor.. but i didn't really notice any lemon flavor?? perhaps i didn't rub the zest into the sugar enough.. but they're still delightful cookies. nice texture and the shell shape is pleasing to look at and eat!


4 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Hi Emily - they're beautiful! I have madeleine pans but I think I've only ever used them once. I've never made or eaten chocolate madeleines, let alone chocolate lemon madeleines. They sound and look delicious!
Cathy

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Another person who likes to cook great food! I have some recipes online that you might enjoy.

Bon Appetite!http://bonapetite.blogspot.com

2:41 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Hey Emily. Those look delish. I've never had chocolate madelines either, but somehow I see them in my future!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about chocolates cremes
. You can check it out at chocolates cremes


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home